Shree Devraha Baba was one of the greatest and the most famous yogis in the history of India, the eleventh from the lineage of Sri Ramanuja Acharya, also known as Ramanujacharya (the saint and the philosopher from the south of India and the founder of the Vaishnavism) was one of his most prominent followers.
Devraha Baba was a siddha who lived for over 250 years, before entering Samadhi in 1989. Dr. Rajendra Prashad, who was the first president of India, verified Devraha Baba's old age. He said that he personally attests to Devraha Baba being at least 150 years old. He said that when he was 73 years old that his father took him to see Baba in young age, when Baba was a very old man. His father already had known Baba for many years before that. An Allahabad High Court Barrister had stated that seven generations of his family had sat at the feet of Devraha Baba. Incidentally, Devraha Baba had predicted the time of his death five years in advance.
Devraha was described as a "fully God realized master" and "an ageless saint of legendary repute". One legend has it that Devraha blessed Tulsidas (1532 – 1623), which would make him even over 500 years old. A rough estimate is that around the world, his devotees may number in hundreds of thousands to millions of people.
He was always radiating love. He was Premasvarupa, the embodiment and incarnation of true spiritual love. People of all castes and states came from every corner of India to worship him.
• Devraha Baba never took food, and never set foot on the ground.
• According to Devraha he wasn't born from a woman's womb, but emerged from water.
• He lived in a unique hut that was raised off the ground by bamboo poles.
• Devraha Baba was a yogi who lived just such a lifestyle.
• Devraha Baba’s first tapobhumi – Mael Tehsil District: Deoria (U.P.) located on river bank.
This area was called as Devar....... in local language......Bhojpuri.
• He left this place Mael Distict : Deoria located near LAR ROAD Railway Station which is situated between Salempur Jn & Varanasi Jn, after a long journey and showering his blessings on people of this area and shifted to Vrindaban- Mathura lived beside the Yamuna river in Mathura till mahasamadhi.
• He lived on a 12-foot-high wooden platform where he usually remained stark naked.
• He never ate food. He only drank water from the Yamuna River.
• He could be in two places simultaneously (a siddhi described in Patanjali's Yoga Sutras).
• Another attributed miracle was his ability to stay underwater for 30 minutes at a time, without resurfacing for air.
• He could also allegedly understand the language of animals, control wild animals, heal people by his look or word, and tell the future.
• He always radiated love. He was a Premaswarupa, an incarnation of love. He gave darshan (spiritual blessing) to devotees who came to pay homage. Many came to visit this great illustrious saint. People came from all over India and from all walks of life. He was a favorite among India's senior politicians, and was visited by Mrs. Indira and Mr. Rajiv Gandhi. Ministers, saints, yogis, priests, rich and poor all came for Baba's darshan.
• Regardless of his exact longevity, celebrities flocked to secure his blessings. President Rajendra Prasad, accompanied by the Uttar Pradesh governor K.M. Munshi, chief minister Sampurnanand, Lal Bahadur Shastri and C.B. Gupta, conducted a puja of the Devraha Baba during Kumbh Mela. Indira Gandhi too met the Baba and was said to be a devotee. Before beginning his election campaign in Faizabad on November 6, 1989, Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, accompanied by the home minister Buta Singh, UP chief minister N.D. Tiwari and K.Natwar Singh, spent 40 minutes with the Baba.
Among many other the names Madhu Chenna Reddy & Balram Jakhad are also taken.
• Devraha Baba at the greatest celebrations of Kumbh Mela in India, which takes place every 12 years, was recorded 12 times.
• Devraha Baba would sit silently in front of his little hut during those festivals -Kumbh mela , when he was available for darshan, and would not speak. The tension for the listener would grow, until Baba would suddenly begin to offer a discourse, usually on Krishna devotion as a path opposed to the pleasures of this world. Devraha's voice challenged in its unpredictability: he would withhold his presence and voice, sitting hidden inside his aerial hut and then would suddenly appear, sit silently in view, and then suddenly speak.
Longevity Miracle: Devraha Baba was 250 + years old when he took Samadhi but not confirmed his exact age.
Various researches on done on the miracle of his longevity. He was considered as “ The Ageless Yogi”.
What if a person does not eat at all, but is able to switch his body metabolism into living directly off of sunshine, can he prolong his life? Recent studies made on behalf of NASA, as well as other prior scientific research studies have proven that humans can live without food. They do not understand why or how, only that it is possible for humans to do so.
If a person were able to draw his required energy from cosmic sources he would eliminate the toxic fallout (free radicals and Ecs) that occurs from eating food, and this would help him prolong his life span. And, if the person practiced meditation and lived a relaxed lifestyle (thus lowering his metabolism), and also practiced yoga postures (stimulating his endocrine system), his life span would surely be prolonged. Taking these three factors together, it should be possible for a person living such a lifestyle to extend his life span dramatically.
The ancient teachings of the Rishis, which heretofore have been kept secret and only shared with the closest of disciples, now are readily available to everyone. As more people begin meditation practices and learn to tap their inner cosmic energies, and as medical science moves towards eradicating all diseases, it is conceivable that the human life span will be extended by decades if not by centuries.
The importance of the voice draws more on generational than divine transaction. The old body becomes a source of powerful charisma when it no longer constitutes a threat to children seeking legitimating of the morality of their appropriation of the household.
My birth place Tairia,Salempur,Deoria is hardly 15 Kilometers from this place-Mael. I had visited this holy place many times when Baba was there and was fortunate enough to have Darshan, blessing and prasadam every time. And at last a diksha to recite;
" OM NAMO BHAGWATE BASU DEVAY, GOVINDAY NAMO NAMAH"
Rameshwar Nath Tiwari